Thursday, December 09, 1999

He's Got the Whole World

Autumn in Eastern Europe oftentimes means wet weather. While we were in Romania daily the rain came down accompanied by a cold October wind. The Sunday before our distribution was to begin, we made a presentation at the Baptist church of Pastor Jorge Ardelean. As CARE-EE waited out in the unheated hallway, I thought “how did I get so far from home?”

I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong… that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. Romans 1:11-12

When I made my entrance, the children, bundled up against the cold of the evening, threw off their gloves and ran to touch and embrace the very colorful stranger in their presence. I performed the usual magic tricks, told the story of the “Three Trees” and held up an inflatable globe to show where I lived in relation to Romania.

While Dallas is a well-known location due to the popularity of the television series, I admitted that I’d never heard of Craiova before. They all laughed. I told them I would never know how to find my way back to their city. But then I shared with this small band of committed believers, facing persecution from the orthodox in the community, it didn’t matter that I didn’t know where Craiova, Romania was - God knew exactly where they lived, worshipped, laughed and cried.

He was watching over them, and had impressed upon many hearts from across the globe there were people in Craiova He was concerned about. And so we were sent, setting out like modern day Abraham’s - not knowing where we were going.

By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. Hebrews 11:8-10

For the closing I sang with the help of the other team members “He’s got the Whole World in His Hands”. We tossed the tiny air-filled globe through the church and the children’s hand reached high as the chorus echoed in the hall “He’s got you and me brother in His hands”. We smiled while our hearts agreed in AMENS.

And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations
Matthew 24:14