Monday, October 01, 2001

Comfort My People

As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted
Isa 66:13

I tried to comfort my son with these words, “as a believer – I do not hold to the adage a person can be “in the wrong place at the wrong time.” I told him he didn’t have to be afraid of any tragedy or accident that might happen to me on foreign soil. I’m not so sure he was sure. There were not enough words to explain that for me, in the end, being found in the service of the Lord when I am called home, is the only place I want to be!

…I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation. 2 Corinthians 6:2

The flight left Helsinki as scheduled the next morning. But by the time I landed in Frankfurt, Germany, airports around the world were shut down. Thousands stood in lines, frantic about loved ones back home. Worried, stranded and strangely silent we waited and watched the monitors flashing “airport closed” across all US destinations. After 18 hours one flight departed for Tel Aviv under armed guards and very heavy security. I considered myself fortunate, I was getting on a plane when so many that day and in the days that followed did not. And for the 265 unsuspecting travelers on the hijacked aircrafts, they boarded 4 flights bound to change the world.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

We know God uses all things, even seemingly horrific tragedies like 911 for His glory and good. While we will never understand this side of heaven the mysteries of terror and tragic circumstance – we know that while we are here we have an important role to play in the workings of His plan. God bless you for continuing to make that possible for so many in all parts of the world!
Put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Eph 6:13