Sunday, September 01, 2002

Props

Where is the philosopher? Where is the scholar? Where is the debater of the age? Hasn’t God made the world’s wisdom foolish? 1 Cor 1:20
In days of high-tech presentations, we arrive in the mission field of our calling, and worry if we have a “program” that will reach the lost. The first day of our arrival in Sovetsk my bag of tricks was left behind and I did without the night’s preparation for the next day. My flesh was quick to think “How do you expect me to do what is required if I don’t have my props!”

Our co-laborers in other parts of the world rely solely on the power of His word and the testimony of His resurrection. Men stand before crowds of illiterate masses without visual aides, Teleprompters, and the latest advances in evangelistic props. Here we are 2000 years later saved by the Word of the Risen Lord – yet we go out armed with Western accoutrements, new “translations” anyone can understand, wondering which version is the most appropriate for our audience. We have countless Study Bibles: men, women, students, teen, new believer, discipleship, prophetic, and apologetic. Bibles designed to suit the latest spiritual trend. But have we become a more faithful population? Is our spirituality deeper, our belief in God stronger, our ability to share Christ growing bolder with so much variation on the same theme?

When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power. 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

Centuries have passed without the information of the “Information Age”. Are we growing soft in our confidence that the message proclaimed boldly and with conviction truly has the power to save and redeem a sinner’s soul?

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. John 12:32

Our counterparts in the first century prayed for courage to proclaim His Name even in
chains! We are praying our props don’t fail!