Friday, March 30, 2007

Sidelines

Sidelines

"Master, I know you have high standards and hate careless ways, that you demand the best and make no allowances for error. I was afraid I might disappoint you, so I found a good hiding place." Matt 25:24-25 The Message

Entering into the eleventh year of ministry and mission, I can say with absolute certainty, the needs of the world will always outweigh the supply, there simply is not enough. No matter how many goods and services are brought in, no matter where, there will always be those sitting on the sidelines of the “supply” wondering “why is there not enough for me?” The more I see, sometimes I feel I understand more the teachings of Christ on “the poor you will always have with you.” Matthew 26:11He saw the crowds and His heart was moved with compassion, for they were like sheep without a shepherd.” Mark 6:34

I grieve at the reality, and realize I understand less and less. The “why” of so much wealth, access, information, and opportunity poured out on some areas (and people) and for others: no clean water, no education, no love, no life?

There are all types of people on the sidelines: children who see gifts being handed out by the thousands, and yet they receive nothing; villagers watching while the children who are getting “educated” receive something while they and theirs do not; orphans across the globe who watch images of happiness and families; humanitarian relief reaching some but not all, people affected by wars and natural disasters current and past left with internal scars unseen.

And then there are our own sidelines: It is often said regarding mission work “some go, and some send”. But unfortunately there are many who sit on the sidelines doing neither. Watching, listening, sometimes hearing the plight and the problems and then… back to work on Monday, life and living while thousands of men, women and children around the world must wonder “why is there not enough for me”? We are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, and while it is generally interpreted as a group cheering us on to the finish line of the race set before us, they are also witnesses against those who sit on the sidelines of “faith without works”, in a land of plenty.

As partners with the work of Sunshine After Rain Ministries, you aren’t on the sidelines. I “go”, but you “send” through your generosity and faithfulness. I hope you enjoy reading of YOUR adventures, YOUR race, YOUR work, YOUR ministry, and always YOUR mission, and how you answered His call. Friends, the harvest is ripe. In the last 14 months WE have reached over 50,000 people with the Good News. Get ready to send, this worker is set to GO!