Thursday, December 09, 1999

Witness the Workman

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the Word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

The region in Russia we made our way across is one that any Chechen terrorist would traverse as well. Because of this the authorities stopped our bus on numerous occasions. While this may seem like a time of tension to foreigners traveling in a strange land across rural and remote areas - to our bus driver it was an opportunity.

Each time he was flagged down by officers, he boldly got off the bus and began to tell of the group inside. Our interpreters nervously relayed his conversations with the police to us. “He is explaining you are American
CARE EE using balloon diplomacy!missionaries on the way to an orphanage. Now he is asking if he can give them a Bible!”

I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Phillipians 1:20-21

In a country where 700,000 pastors lost their lives under Stalinism and the communist regime, here was a man that had no fear to express his beliefs, to let his light shine no matter the consequence.

Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.
2 Tim 1:12

More than his witness to the officers, was his lesson to the American passengers.Countless times I have heard excuses on why a person doesn’t witness. “I don’t really know the scripture well enough” or “what if they ask me a question I don’t know the answer to?” The enemy keeps too many gripped in fear and shame that we “don’t know what to say.” It is time to forget our fears and lay hold of the power of His testimony.

If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels.
Mark 8:38