Monday, October 01, 2001

911

I checked into the Helsinki airport hotel for the convenience and transportation to my 5:00 a.m. flight to Israel the next day. When I got to the room I turned the television to the international BBC channel. The image I saw was staggering. In Helsinki it was 3:45 in the afternoon. The events in New York had just begun

Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world… Luke 21:26

I stared in disbelief and horror along with millions of others across the globe. Shocked, I sat down and thought “Lord You really are coming back!” As the unimaginable unfolded I realized how quickly disaster changes things. Symbols of our financial strength and position in the world collapsed in less than an hour.

In one hour such great wealth has been brought to ruin! … When they see the smoke of her burning, they will say, 'Was there ever a city like this great city?' Rev 18:17-18

Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done" ...President George W. Bush

Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God…He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and He will deliver us. On Him we have set our hope that He will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many. 2 Cor 1:9-11

I had a meeting scheduled with the Finnish Director of Child Evangelism for 5:00, and when she arrived the connection and companionship at such a time brought relief. We prayed for America, the countless victims and their families. We prayed for world leadership and the wisdom of our God. Then we prayed for the boldness of Christians across the world to speak up and speak out before it is too late.

Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to You while You may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him. Psalm 32:6

We turned off the continuous television coverage and had our meeting. In a strange way, in our continued conversation about how to effectively evangelize children, against the backdrop of such unbelievable tragedy, I gained strength. I felt like a true soldier in the battlefield planning and strategizing even though it looked and felt like we were losing the war. In the trenches of the determination to take as many as we can into the Kingdom, I found courage. And when I made phone calls to Israel and back home to my family, I knew peace.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

I called home (a first in 8 years of “field work”) and reached my 18-year-old son. He said, “Mom, you are just the person I wanted to talk to. You can’t still be going to Israel, haven’t you seen what is going on!” My heart was pierced in many ways - ways of joy – that he wanted to know what I had to say about the meaning of the situation, and ways of sorrow for the many sons and daughters that day who would never again hear from their parents words of encouragement that “all was going to be okay”.

"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor 15:55-58