Sunday, September 01, 2002

Jaded


As it is written: "He has scattered abroad His gifts to the poor; His righteousness endures forever." 2 Cor 9:9

Each day the gift boxes were handed out into the hundreds of waiting arms of village children, orphans and patients at the Accra Children’s Hospital. The brightly wrapped Christmas packages were opened with uncontainable happiness and obvious joy.

Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! 2 Corinthians 9:15

The Pastor from one of the first distribution sites came to the home of Alan and Patsy Fulton (our mission coordinators) with a report to share about the children of the village. “You should hear the laughter, see the smiles on their faces, why, they haven’t been able to sleep for two days marveling at the wonderful gifts contained in the boxes. They can’t believe it is all for them. They are too happy for words to describe!” As I listened to the pastor’s comments, I felt the Lord ask me, “What gift would produce that reaction in you?”

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God 1 Timothy 1:6

I am a believer, quantitatively committed to following the Lord and serving Him faithfully, but I ask myself, “why isn’t the knowledge of the free gift of salvation – of His bountiful love, making me sleepless at night with the wonder of it being all for me?”

The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

The memory of their smiles, as they opened boxes filled with things they have never seen (like an Etch-a-Sketch) or could never afford (like a toothbrush) will always stay with me. But the lesson I learned through His grace, about the abundance of the gift I have been given, will last much longer. I am left with a heart filled with thanksgiving and far more than joy.