Monday, October 01, 2001

"...not a great faith we need, but...

... faith in a great God.” (J. Hudson Taylor) The fact the Lord works in mysterious ways brings a smile to some and a cringe to others. I suppose it depends on whether you are the mysterious one He is working through or watching and marveling at His humor. My past experiences in Asian culture (Japan) and a communist one (Russia) did little prepare me for the Chinese. I was pleasantly surprised to meet people quite eager to engage in conversation and try out their English.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. Hebrews 13:2

I encountered a young girl at one of the tourist destinations in the city. Her English was quite good, and she readily engaged in a lengthy conversation. After a few minutes of discussion she said, “I’m a Christian! I’ve been praying today for the Lord to bless me – and here you are – I meet other believers!” Her enthusiasm at the serendipitous acts of a Father toward His children was heartwarming.