Monday, October 01, 2001

Toto We're Not in Kansas

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Prov 16:9

China presented a unique circumstance. Most of my past performances were geared toward children who do not speak English. These were University students, at Masters Degree level studies. The presentations at the school were designed to foster questions of a spiritual nature – which I could freely answer. Each day I went into the first class as myself. I spoke about the activities of Sunshine After Rain Ministries, while passing out pictures of CARE EE in various places around the world.

I explained the “art” of clowning and then slowly I turned into CARE EE before their eyes. They laughed far more than I expected (given their age) and engaged animatedly as I asked for volunteers for the various skits and tricks. Once the performance was completed the students were free to ask questions. I was not surprised when the students expressed more interest in the “how” of the tricks than the “who” behind them. Too often, I am the same way – asking God how and why He did something grand or awful other than asking questions that will tell me more about who He is.

Both Before and After the presentations, I spoke about becoming who God intended for us to be from the beginning. None of the students could grasp the concept of doing something motivated by charity and love. The students did not understand pursuing activities where no money was involved. The most frequent question brought the opportunity hoped for. The question of “why” do I go to these far off places; why do I witness in bad and desperate circumstances opened the discussion to share the “upward high calling”. Afterwards, many of the female students were very vocal in their praise, sharing how much they “learned” about friendship and love.